Wednesday, February 16, 2011

One Shirt - 4 Ways

With fashion trends emerging from the snow like Spring's first flowers, menswear inspired styles are every where.  UGH!  I hate this trend.  Lace up saddle oxfords, blazers, button down shirts in solids, plaids, and stripes.  I mean, really.  Men's clothes are BORING.  That is one of the things I love about being a woman.  The endless options of mixing and matching.  We get to wear just about everything.  Why do I want to give that up and look like a man?

BUT I am learning to find my inner "mommy" style.  I have tried on many button down shirts in the past few years.  I've read countless articles that state the classic white button down is a must have for every woman's wardrobe.  I've even spread the word to my fashion challenged friends that no closet is complete without owning one.  So how do I embrace the patterned button down without looking like I raided my husband's wardrobe?  And how do I help my friends who want to wear them?  Here is my "runway to the real way" on how to wear this trend for us everyday gals that like to be in style.

INSPIRATION - I've been eyeing this plaid shirt from J.Crew.  It is $72 which for some is not a hefty price, but I am still on the fence about wearing these kinds of shirts.



J. Crew - $72.00

SO - on a family shopping trip to Target the other day, I happened upon a grey and white one for only $19.99!! How excited was I?  Not too much of a commitment and would work with items already in my closet. Did I tell you it was $19.99??  So I played around online and in my closet to show you a few (or four) ways to wear one shirt.  What is great about this top is you can go super casual or dress it up.  


Outfit ONE - Working 9 to 5 or actually getting to dress up for a change.  Wear with a skirt, cardigan and belt.  Add an unexpected shot of color with an accessory such as a handbag or piece of jewelry.




Outfit TWO - Ultra Casual.  Looking cute, but still comfortable.  Layer under your favorite hoodie and add a brightly colored scarf.
Old Navy Womens Fleece Hoodies
$15 - oldnavy.gap.com
Fleece tops »

Woven Scarf w/ Fringe
$6.50 - forever21.com
Fringed shawls »

Stella & Dot • An invitation to style
$34 - stelladot.com





Outfit THREE - Summer Lovin' (or Spring Lovin').  Roll up the sleeves, grab your favorite bermudas/shorts and pair with some great wedges and turquoise.  For those that know me - Turquoise is like my little white tee.  You must own it.




Outfit FOUR - dinner and a movie or having lunch with the girls.  For those colder days that still lie ahead, pair with a great fitted jacket and jeans.  Go with flats or boots

Massive Mum Scarf
$60 - anthropologie.com
Cotton shawl »

Fossil Range Casual Belt
$30 - fossil.com


Lara Kruthers - Stella & Dot Stylist
$39 - stelladot.com




Several of the pieces above (specifically shoes) are on the higher end, but I picked them to show you a look.  Of course you can find things just as cute and much less expensive.  Hope you get inspired and find something to "mix it up" with in your closet.  As for the lace up oxfords - you'll have to find another blog to help you there.  I am stopping at the collared shirts.  






No comments:

Post a Comment